Day 96: Grilled Pattypan Squash

For the first time ever, I've been failed by the Internet!

I spent a full 30 minutes searching for a recipe for pattypan squash. Mind you, there were plenty of recipes for baby pattypan squash which are apparently de rigueur in restaurant circles. [Update: simple baby pattypan squash are quite lovely, yes!] But I learned - thank you, the Internet - that what jumped into my bag at the farmer's market on Saturday was a mature pattypan squash, one with size and heft.

So I followed the suggestion of the farmer's daughter, "Just grill it."

Pattypan is a summer squash - it slices easily, like zucchini and yellow squash. It tastes like a nuanced yellow squash. And grilled, it was good, left unadorned, no butter, no garlic, just the smokey essence from the grill/smoker.

Simple. Earthy. I'd recommend it --

GRILLED PATTYPAN SQUASH
Active time: 2 minutes
Grill time: 20 minutes maybe
Serves 4


1 large pattypan squash, washed, sliced vertically about 1/2 inch thick
Salt & pepper to taste.

Place the squash on a hot grill and cook until soft.

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
Per Serving: 36 Cal (8% from Fat, 24% from Protein, 67% from Carb); 3 g Protein; 0 g Tot Fat; 0 g Sat Fat; 8 g Carb; 2 g Fiber; 34 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 5 mg Sodium; 0 mg Cholesterol, Weight Watchers 0 points




Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. We just found a patty pan 8" across hiding in a corner of the garden. I'll try it on the grill tonight.

    Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you have a large one I know I have steamed it whole, then scouped out the centre (retaining the shell). Diced the scouped out bits and fried it with veg and ground meat (I'm a meat eater) into kind of a chili. Then pour mixture into the squash shell. Into a 350 oven until heated through. Stuffed patty pan squash. Sorry no details but I made it up so it is all fexible. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna