How to Cook Edamame Right in the Shell ♥ Recipe

Today's vegetable snack: Frozen edamame, quick cooked and served still in the shell. A kid favorite!

How long does it take to fill hundreds of eggs for the annual Easter Egg hunt? Hours! Nearing the end of the big job, the kids were fading and supper was still a long ways off. So I whipped out a bag of frozen edamame [pronounced ed-uh-MAH-may], still in the shell and threw them into well-salted water.

Soon the kids (and a few hungry grown-ups too!) were digging into a big pile of shells. The older girls already knew the technique: dip a shell in a little salt, put it between your teeth and drrrraaag, popping the edamame beans into your mouth. Yummy!

Thanks for being so willing to try something new, E, K and E (pictured) and also B, AJ and D! You all get A+!

Edamame works great for grown-ups too, especially for casual outdoor gatherings. These are a real winner!

EDAMAME in the SHELL

Hands-on time: 2 minutes
Time to table: 20 minutes
Serves 6 hungry kids

Well-salted water
1 pound frozen edamame, still in the shell
Kosher salt

Bring the water to a boil. Drop the edamame into the water and let cook until done but still bright green. Drain and place on a plate with a pile of salt on the side -- you'll want a second plate for the shells, too.


A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic










Looking for healthy ways to cook vegetables? A Veggie Venture is home to hundreds of quick, easy and healthful vegetable recipes and the famous Alphabet of Vegetables. Healthy eaters will love the low carb recipes and the Weight Watchers recipes.
© Copyright 2009

Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. When my daughter put edamame in her veggie soup, they were still very firm. I wasn't too fond of that. Are these as firm? How long of a cooking time do you do? Sorry, Edamame is very new to me, but don't like my cooked veggies hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cait,

    I cooked them for about 5 minutes but cooking them longer, I think, wouldn't soften them. Edamame ARE firm, even when cooked. They don't soften up like a kidney bean, say, after cooking. Maybe they just aren't to your liking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've become addicted to them I fear . . . but maybe that's ok ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's cool how I'm on the computer. Those edamames are just soo tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cannot stop eating edamame. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for Trader Joe's for bringing frozen edamame to the masses (well, here in Rhode Island, anyway)! I always keep a bag in the freezer. Love to cook them and then sprinkle with a coarse sea salt. But, seriously, they should carry a warning: "contents can be addictive"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE edamame, one of the greatest snacks around! I often simply put some in a small tupperware container (frozen) and pack them in my lunch for work. They steam just fine in the microwave, even - about 2 minutes (shaking them around once during cooking) and then sprinkle kosher salt over, yum! Of course, boiling tastes better, but gotta get my fix any way I can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh - I love edamame. Your post reminded me that I need to pick some up at the store!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love edamame, which reminds me, it's been a while since I've bought some. They're the ultimate quick, high protein, healthy snack.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're a great source of proteins for vegetarians like me and I'm too lazy to de-shell them because I use them in all kinds of stir fries :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids LOVE edamame. In fact, my son's first pun (at a little less than 2 years old) was "eat a Mommy?!"

    We've decided to grow our own this year, and I'm wondering how the cooking time/method will change for fresh edamame?

    This is my first time seeing your blog, by the way... I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna